If you are wondering whether microwaves are safe to use for cooking, you may be surprised to learn that they do not destroy nutrients in the food they cook. Microwaves are electromagnetic waves that do not produce ionizing radiation. Moreover, they can kill disease-causing bugs while preserving the nutrients in the food. If you are curious about whether microwaves are safe to use, continue reading.
Microwaves are a form of electromagnetic energy
The electromagnetic energy that microwaves produce is different from ionizing radiation, which comes from radioactive sources like mobile phones. Microwaves cause molecules to vibrate, generating heat. Microwaves do not contain enough energy to damage atoms or molecules, but they do pass through similar materials, such as food. Some studies have linked microwaves to cancer. So the health benefits of microwaved food are unclear. You should know about Test and Tag service for safety and also security.
They emit non-ionizing radiation
Microwaves emit non-ionizing radiation. This radiation can move atoms within a molecule, but it cannot remove electrons. The Govt. regulates microwave radiation to keep it below safe levels. However, proper upkeep is essential to prevent exposure to harmful levels of radiation. In a microwave oven, the door often leaks radiation, exposing other people waiting to eat.
They can kill disease-causing bugs
It has long been known that microwaving can destroy bacteria, but did you know that microwave ovens can also eliminate pathogens? In a study, scientists found that microwave ovens could kill 98% of all bacteria and bacterial spores. The study is not conclusive, however, because results could vary according to the type of pathogen. Nonetheless, this method may still be an effective way to kill many pathogens.
They preserve nutrients in food
Despite the fact that microwaves are efficient, they don’t always heat foods uniformly. In some cases, they only penetrate food up to a depth of about 1 to 1.5 inches (2.54 to 3.81 centimeters), and heat it through conduction above this level. To maximize the uniformity of microwave heating, turn or stir the food frequently. This method also requires less moisture and evaporation than conventional methods do.
They can cause burns
The National Fire Protection Association records around 6,600 home structure fires annually, and at least two children die as a result of microwave-related injuries. According to NFPA, nearly nine out of ten of these fires are caused by microwaves, and many of these incidents were the result of people accidentally leaving the kitchen while food was heating, causing scalds, burns, and even fires. While this may seem like a small number of injuries, these fires could easily spread and destroy entire kitchens or even the home’s structure.
They can interfere with pacemakers
Many people worry about using microwave ovens around pacemakers because of possible electrical interference. Because microwaves emit radio waves that are at the same frequency as cardiac devices, they can interfere with the function of pacemakers. The risk is even greater for older and certain types of pacemakers. To prevent this problem, you should avoid using microwaves near your pacemaker and always cook food before you use the microwave. To prevent this problem, use a microwave oven only when absolutely necessary, such as if you have a special event coming up.
They can reduce nutrient content of food
While you might not know it, microwave ovens do decrease the nutrient content of food. The high-speed heating method reduces the water content in foods, thus destroying the nutrients. Food cooked in microwave ovens is usually shorter in time than other methods, and the temperature remains low. Typically, food is not boiled. Microwave cooking is also more gentle than other methods, as the food is only exposed to high heat for short periods of time.